Written for both beginners and seasoned developers with a working knowledge of ActionScript 3.0 and Flash Professional, the book provides the recipes required to build native iOS apps using the Flash platform. Whether you want to create something new or simply convert an existing Flash desktop project, the relevant steps and techniques will be covered, helping you achieve your goal.
For those new to iOS development, I have paid particular attention to the fundamentals, focusing on the groundwork that many newcomers find daunting. The first few chapters show you how to join the iOS Developer Program, create the required developer files, and build your very first application using Flash Professional. For those with a firm grasp of the basics, there’s plenty to learn, from working with device sensors, to maximizing graphics performance using hardware acceleration.
Here are just a few of the things you’ll learn from the book:
- Build your own apps, port existing projects, and learn the best practices for targeting iOS devices
- Compile, configure, and publish native iOS apps directly from Flash Professional CS5 or CS5.5
- Deploy your apps to iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Respond to gestures and multi-touch
- Detect location and movement using the geolocation and accelerometer sensors
- Target multiple screen resolutions including the Retina display
- Accelerate graphics performance by utilizing the GPU
- Implement FLV playback and high-quality H.264 video
- Capture and manipulate video from the built in camera
- Overcome performance and memory constraints
- Utilize iOS-specific features with native extensions
You can find additional information, including a sample chapter, on the book’s official page at the Packt Publishing website. Additionally, I’ll be maintaining a dedicated page from my blog, where you will find additional tutorials, links to resources, and answers to frequently asked questions.
If you pick up a copy of the book then please do let me know what you think.