Here’s something I’ve been meaning to blog about for well over a year but for one reason or another didn’t get round to it. It’s an HTML5 port of a speedometer app I once wrote using Adobe AIR. I thought it would be a good way of polishing up on my JavaScript and also learn a few of the HTML5-specific APIs such as Geolocation. The original was badly in need of a lick of paint, so I changed the graphics a bit and also added a Need For Speed styled camera shake effect when a certain speed was reached.

To be honest, porting it from ActionScript 3 to HTML5 was fairly straightforward, and the app performed pretty well on iPhone and iPad, which I used as my test devices. Of course, the development was done on a PC so I made sure the app could swap between real geolocation data (for running on a device) and some test data (for development) I’d created. I’ve embedded a video of the app running above, complete with some test data so you can see it running.